Use "Some and Any" appropriately

Bookmark and Share
Basically, some is used in positive sentences whereas any is used in negative and interrogative sentences. Positive sentences are those which have positive senses. On the other hand, Negative sentences are those which carry negative senses. What about interrogative sentences?? these sentences are commonly known as questions.
* Positive Sentences.
1. Dave has taught me some tricks in magic.
2. I have some pencils in my bag.
Above two simple examples carry positive senses to the reader. The 1st one means that I have got some tricks in magic which has been taught by Dave. The 2nd one means that there are really some pencils in my bag.
* Negative Sentences.
To draw a clearer idea about it, please pay attention on below:

1. Dave has not taught me any tricks in magic.
2. I don't have any pencils in my bag.
I believe that the above two sentences are clear to have negative senses. To make it easy, negative sentences usually have the word "no/not".
* Interrogative Sentences
1. Has Dave taught you any tricks in magic?
2. Do you have any pencils in your bag?
All the above sentences are interrogative sentences or questions. Therefore, they are using "any".
Note: a. In questions, when we expect "yes" answer, we use "some" instead of "any"
Examples : What's wrong with your eye? Have you got something in it?
In here, when i ask the sort of question, I'm thinking that you've got
something in your eye, may be because your eye looks red. So in here I
expect "yes" answer.
b. In questions, which mean offer or request we also use "some" instead of
"any".
Example : Would you like some cakes?
Can I have some water?
Above two examples are in interrogative pattern, but they're indeed not
questions but offer and request or an ask of something.

{ 0 comments... Views All / Send Comment! }

Post a Comment