Either, Neither, Nor, So, Both and So

Bookmark and Share
Have you ever heard about the above words? Elliptical sentence might seem to be something new for you all. But try to check below examples:
1. Alex is a clever student, and Dave is too.
2. Kevin works hard everyday and Jake does either.
3. Marco didn’t go to the party and neither did John.
4. They are from Java, and so am I.

Well, to make it easy, elliptical sentences are those which contain the above mentioned words. In the other
words, these sentences are actually formed from two clauses that cover the same degree/ quality/ topic.

To create a clearer picture in your mind of how to use those words appropriately, please see on below:

Expression Example
both … and … I like both cats and dogs.
so Jane likes cats. So do I.
not … either Jane doesn't like cats. I don't like cats either.
either … or … Jane either has a cat or a dog.
neither/nor Jane doesn't like cats. Neither do I./Nor do I.
neither … nor … I like neither cats nor dogs.

{ 1 comments... Views All / Post Comment! }

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment